The UC Berkeley McNair Scholars Program
What is the Ronald E. McNair Scholars Program?
The McNair Scholars Program prepares selected UC Berkeley undergraduates for graduate study at the doctoral level. Twenty to thirty McNair Scholars are selected each year to participate in both academic and summer activities. The McNair Scholars Program aims to increase numbers of groups underrepresented in doctoral programs.
Students who meet the following criteria:
• Completion of at least 60 units
• 3.0 minimum cumulative UC Berkeley GPA
• US Citizenship or permanent US Residency
• Qualify as either a first-generation college student who also has a low-income level established by the US Department of Education; or a member of a group that is underrepresented in graduate education.
• Must be enrolled at UC Berkeley during Spring 2014
• Preference is given to students who have previously participated in a TRIO program.
• Mentorship from a UC Berkeley faculty member
• $2,800 stipend for Summer research
• Opportunity to publish in the UC Berkeley McNair Journal
• Research findings presented at the Annual California McNair Scholars Symposium
• Fully funded GRE Prep Course
• Assistance to ensure admission to graduate programs of choice
• Fee Waivers from participating institutions graduate applications
• Strengthening of academic skills
Academic Year Activities
• For-credit seminar covering research topic selection, research methods, writing, and time management
• Individual tutoring
• Mentor selection/matching
• Individual assistance with graduate school applications and financial resources
Summer Research Activities
• Faculty mentored research culminating in publishable research paper
• Participation in the Annual California McNair Scholars Symposium
• Weekly research skills seminar
• Advising on graduate admissions
• Research Tutoring
A list of the UC Berkeley McNair Scholars and their research papers are available in the Berkeley McNair Journal.
For more information, write:
Harold Campbell, Director
Juan F. Esteva, Research Coordinator
Academic Achievement Programs/McNair Scholars Program
2515 Channing Way
Berkeley, CA 94720-2410
Phone: (510) 642-7935
Fax: (510) 642-7129
The UC Berkeley McNair Scholars Program is funded by the US Department of Education Ronald E. McNair Post-Baccalaureate Achievement Program as part of the Federal TRIO program, and is overseen on the UC Berkeley campus by the Vice Chancellor for Equity and Inclusion, Gibor Basri, Ph.D.